Monday, November 27, 2017

My Nails and My Book Review - X Marks the Scot by Kaitlyn Dunnett

**NetGalley**



Title: X Marks the Scot
Series: Liss MacCrimmon Mystery #11
Author: Kaitlyn Dunnett

Goodreads Summary: The old Chadwick mansion on the edge of Moosetookalook, Maine, has been shrouded in mystery for generations--until Scottish Emporium owner Liss MacCrimmon uncovers a forgotten family secret. But she never imagined that a little curiosity would lead her into such deadly territory . . .

While perusing auction items from the Chadwick estate, Liss purchases a painting of a bagpiper to add to her collection. Her interest shifts from art to sleuthing upon a strange discovery--what appears to be a treasure map tucked behind the canvas. She's even more intrigued when she links the scroll to an early Chadwick who smuggled goods across the Canadian border.
So during a business trip to Canada, Liss arranges a meeting with an archivist in hopes of pinning down the truth about the map and the Chadwick bloodline. Before her quest moves forward, however, she finds the archivist's murdered body at a local genealogical society. One thing is certain--Liss isn't alone on this treasure hunt . . .
Liss returns to Moosetookalook, terrified that the killer may have followed her home. With her life in real peril and the map at risk of being stolen, she launches into full-scale investigation mode. But as she deciphers clues and inches toward the dangerous culprit, Liss quickly realizes she's only a step away from ending up like the Chadwick clan--permanently wiped out.
 

My Review: **I voluntarily read this ARC**

This was both interesting and slightly boring. The concept was great. I loved the idea of the genealogy part, but it was too much of an info dump and not enough of a story. The mystery started out great, but by the end there were too many characters and I ended up not really caring who did it. 

My Manicure: This did not quite work as planned. My inspiration is a treasure map. I tried using a nude base, but I managed to mess it up twice before I even started the design. So, I ended up using Finger Paints Paper Mache. Then I sponged the "aged paper" look with Bundle Monster Arabica and Annato Clay. That part was a definite fail. My X and trail were free handed with a Sharpie.



~Kelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment