Wednesday, May 3, 2017

My Nails and My Book Review - Southern Fried by Tonya Kappes

**NetGalley**



Title: Southern Fried
Series: Kenni Lowry Mystery #2
Author: Tonya Kappes

Goodreads Summary: In the South, it’s better when the food is fried and the secrets kept buried… 

After the dead body of a beloved Cottonwood resident is found tangled up in an electric fence, Sheriff Kenni Lowry has a hunch that somethin’ ain’t right. Her investigation heats up with a fierce cook-off competition, a euchre game where the intel is sweeter than the brownies, and a decades old family recipe that may just be the proof in the pudding. 

The icing on the cake: Kenni is fighting an attraction to her recently sworn-in deputy sheriff, and election season is hot on her tail. When the killer comes after who she holds most dear, even her poppa’s ghostly guidance might not be enough to keep her and her own out of the frying pan.

My Review: **I voluntarily read this ARC**

Oh my gosh I had so much fun reading this one! Small southern towns are fun, quirky settings, and Tonya Kappes is an expert at writing about them. The mystery was quite shocking. I honestly couldn't figure any of it out. I also love how the paranormal element is very light - the only ghost is her grandpa, and there is no other hocus-pocus stuff going on. It would be perfect for someone wanting to ease their way into reading paranormal cozies.

My Manicure: I promise this isn't a blood splatter manicure... It's a tomato splatter. Yeah, I know, that sounds weird, but the victim is introduced in a tomato garden and I couldn't resist. I started with a base of Zoya Godiva to make the, uh, tomato really pop. Then I stamped the splatter heart using Messy Mansion MM28 and Bundle Monster Red Sea.


~Kelly 

No comments:

Post a Comment