Wednesday, November 23, 2016

My Nails and My Book Review - The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay

**NetGalley**



Title: The Assassin Game
Series: Standalone title
Author: Kirsty McKay

Goodreads Summary: Who will be left after lights out?

At Cate's isolated boarding school, Killer is more than a game- it's an elite secret society. Members must avoid being "Killed" during a series of thrilling pranks, and only the Game Master knows who the "Killer" is. When Cate's finally invited to join the Assassins' Guild, she know it's her ticket to finally feeling like she belongs.

But when the game becomes all too real, the school threatens to shut it down. Cate will do anything to keep playing and save the Guild. But can she find the real assassin before she's the next target? 

Originally published in the United Kingdom by Chicken House in 2015 under title: Killer game.

My Review: **I voluntarily reviewed this ARC**

The premise of the book was interesting, but it didn't fully live up to its potential. The whole “game becomes all too real” bit that the blurb teases about? That doesn't even start until 60% through the book. Up until then, it is partially following the game, but mainly following Cate trying to figure out her relationships.

My Manicure: This was another one where inspiration struck at the last second. It didn't help that I ended up with a random cut near my cuticle that made removing the last manicure *extremely* painful. So, I ended up flipping through my stamping plates to find an image that would work. When I found the wave image I realized it would be absolutely perfect since the story takes place on an island. I started with a base of Zoya Sunshine, which gives a great stormy ocean look. Then I stamped using Bundle Monster BM-504 and Bam! White. Ok, that color name is just so fun to type. I keep saying it in my head Emeril Lagasse style. The texture of Sunshine really adds to the effect of a stormy ocean.



~Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment